Sunday, August 10, 2008

Another big weekend

First, let me just say that I LOVE the Olympics. There is something about the nature of competition and the emotion behind it that is so captivating. As I type this, I am watching the women's gymnastics on TV and the equestrian 3-day cross country phase live on my computer. Does it get much better than that?



While I have been glues to the TV for most of the weekend, I did make it out of the house to drag my friend Elizabeth on a good hike yesterday. At Liz's request to hike a 14er, we headed up to Leadville to bag Mt. Elbert. I was a little concerned that our plans would be foiled by the weather, but despite the very cloudy skies the rain held off. The first half of the trail climbed through one of the most amazing aspen glades that I have ever seen. It was like being in a rainforest. I guess it is kind of the Colorado equivalent of one. When we broke treeline we were literally IN the clouds. When we reached the summit, the clouds parted briefly to reveal the views of Mt. Massive and La Plata Peak.

I think Liz had mixed opinions about the hike itself but I am proud that she stuck with it and made it to the top. We treated ourselves to some amazing BBQ from Kirby Cosmo's for dinner and resumed our places on the couch to watch the Games for the rest of the night.



No comments: